Gameblox TA: Ask me anything!

• Author

Profile photo of krusenkrusen
    Keymaster

Welcome to the course! My name is Nolan and I will be the TA for the Gameblox portions of this class. I am a student at MIT and have previously taught Gameblox in the classroom environment. If you ever have any questions regarding the software, how to do something, or you might have found a bug, please feel free to start a thread or post in another thread and I’ll help you as soon as possible.

Happy Gaming!
    Nolan

grampy
    Participant

I was looking around to try to find any tutorials, but I haven’t had any luck.
    Is there a link that you could share?

Thanks

Profile photo of krusenkrusen
      Keymaster

Hi grampy,

If you go to the Gameblox site, click “Create”, then click “Help” in the top right, you’ll be given a whole bunch of tutorials to try.

Hope that helps!

brendaraymondcr
    Participant

I have discovered that if a sprite is dragged, it’s not reported as a click until after the mouse button is released. But I need to know the moment a sprite is clicked on whether or not it is dragged.

What I’m trying to do:
    First, I have some US coins. The player can click on a coin to clone it. My natural tendency is to click and drag on the coin, as a result my cloned coin doesn’t show up until the end of my drag but I want it to appear as soon as the mousedown occurs. Then the coin can be dragged to a balance. When it collides with the balance the balances counter goes up. Now, if they choose to drag the coin off the balance, I need the counter to go down. However, I’m having trouble detecting that the coin is being dragged. I need to detect when the sprite is first clicked so that I can check if it’s touching the balance so that I know to reduce my counter.

The When mouse/active pointer is down event doesn’t indicate if it’s down on a sprite.

suzannegrey007
    Participant

Hi, how long has this site been running for?
    There doesn’t seem to be much activity on the forum.
    I searched through probably 200+ ios apps before i heard of this site.
    I code with Hopscotch and Tynker on ios.
    i’ll do my best to get more ppl interested in this site and the ios app.

Profile photo of camilovr2camilovr2
    Participant

Hello
    I am Game Design student in São Paulo(Brazil) and had the opportunity to use the GameBlox to at a course of EDX in 2015.
    I need to do a school project speaking the main features of any existing engine. I would like to talk about the GameBlox but information is scarce on the internet.
    Could you tell me some features?
    - programming language (java/html/?)
    - Type of license (exclusive for MIT students?)
    - Availability of manuals and tutorials
    - Portability across platforms
    - Tools available
    - Estimate of new versions
    I will be very grateful if you can help me.
    Thank yo
    Camilo

Profile photo of sr6169sr6169
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m trying to find out if sprite1 successfully jumped over any of Class2. I thought I could compare their positions like this:
    if sprite1′s x = (closest instance of Class2 below sprite 1)’s x
    do …
    but it doesn’t seem to work.
    As a check I then tried
    if sprite1′s x = 300
    do stop game
    and had sprite x move across the stage from 0 to 600, but nothing happened.
    What am I missing?
    This is the project I’m working on: https://gameblox.org/editor/14871/
    Thanks,
    Sigrid

jpesco
    Participant

Answered my own question, thanks.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  jpesco.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.